V-belts might really just seem relatively inconsequential and simple pieces of equipment. But that is hardly true!
V-Belts are belts with trapezoidal cross-sections that are used to transmit power or torque from the engine (the driver component) to the ancillary components (driven component). In simpler words, v-belts are torque transmitters.
Having gone through tremendous technological advancements in recent years, they have been widely used in automobiles & for industrial applications due to their power transmitting capacity.
Key Components of a V-Belt
V-belts are called so because of their cross-section that resembles the letter ‘V’.
The components/ constructional aspects that help a v-belt perform its function as intended. Some of them are:
- Base Rubber Compound: It is a special rubber compound that is responsible for providing shape to the v-belt. It also acts as a compression medium, thus absorbing shocks during any power transmission.
- Tensile Members: These includes the steel wires/cords inside the rubber that provide the required strength to the v-belt for the transmission.
- Protective Cover: A layer of plastic that provides protection against the heat that is generated due to the rapid movement of the v-belts in machines.
V-belts come in different types, namely Classic V-Belts, Narrow V-Belts, Double Angle V-Belts, Raw-Edge V-Belts, Ribbed V-belts, etc. They can further be classified into five categories ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, ‘D’, and ‘E’ based on the cross-sectional size and the amount of power that is to be transmitted by the belt.
Advantages of V-Belts
V-Belts are commonly used for industrial applications because of the wide range of benefits associated with them. Some of these are:
- Transmission of higher torque with lesser width and tension.
- Capacity to function at high speeds ranging between 5 to 30 m/s.
- Relative low cost.
- Ease of installation.
- Availability of a wide range of sizes for various applications.
- Suitable for certain heavy-duty applications, including shock and high starting loads.
KYK offers a variety of V-belts for a wide range of applications. Not only does it offer such an assortment of V-belts but also keeps them ready in stock for immediate dispatch for businesses across the world!